Christmas, keep your pets safe and happy.
We are into December already. Gosh, as usual, the year flies by. This time of year gets very busy, with many functions to attend, shopping and things to organise. To make it a bit easier, we have put together some simple tips to help you keep your pets safe and happy this Xmas.
If you are having a Xmas Party
- Exercise – it is a good idea to walk/exercise your pet before everyone arrives, so they are less hypo and will be more content to chill when everyone gets there.
- Food – it can be tempting to give your pet treats off the table, but remember their little digestive tracks aren't like ours, so our food can often give them an upset stomach or more severe health issues such as Pancreatitis. You don't want to be dealing with vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation or a trip to the vet over the stat days.
- Food not to give your pet: raisins, sultanas, onions, cooked bones, nuts, chocolate and gravy.
- You could buy them their own little treats, so they don't get left out.
- Safe place - giving your pet a place to go that is safe and just for them is a great idea. Let the kids know that this is their place only, so do not follow them if they decide to go and have a little quiet time.
- Unsafe items – ensure there are no low-hanging Xmas decorations on the tree that can be chewed and digested, which cause health issues. Also, ensure wrapping paper, plastic from gifts and crackers are cleared up quickly so they don't mistakenly get snaffled up.
If you are going away over the Xmas holidays
If you are taking your pets with you, remember that the place you take them may be pretty foreign to them, and they can quickly become stressed or wander off looking for you. Make sure they have a tag with your contact details and that your microchip details are up to date so you can easily be contacted.
Travelling doesn't agree with some pets and can be stressful for everyone involved. We have our Travel remedy in the Tagiwig range to help with this. It assists with motion sickness and also anxiety.
Leaving your pets?
If you are going away on holiday and can't take your pets with you, you will be either looking at a pet sitter or kennels/cattery to look after them. There are so many well-run kennels and catteries out there, with people that have a passion for pets. If your pet is vaccinated, but you want added protection for them, we have our Canine Sniffles to assist your pet's immune system against kennel cough and Feline Sniffles for cat flu.
If your pet gets upset, depressed or pines for you, then we have our Missing You remedy to take the edge off and put them in their happy place.
Ask the kennels/cattery, as they may be happy to put some into your pet's water.
The Team here at Natural Pet wish you and your pets a safe and happy Christmas.
Posted: Thursday 8 December 2022